With the release of Tiger, many users will be attempting to install the updated operating system on their Macs. Installing an operating system update is not for amateurs, those faint of heart or anyone who emits a strong magnetic field.
Those people shouldn’t really be near computers at all.
Crazy Apple Rumors Site Labs has collected the following list of tips for the brave souls who will daringly install an entirely untested and highly risky operating system on their computers.
But, um, I’m sure it’ll be fine.
- A clean install is always better. Reformat your entire hard drive before you install the operating system. You should throw out your old data, too, as it may be corrupted. It also might be best to move to a new city and change your name. Start over with a new life, it’s the only way to be sure.
- Before installing Tiger on your machine, install it on your mother’s aging iMac first. This will allow you to determine whether or not there are any problems. I mean, at the rate you visit her, it’s not like you’re going to be seeing her again any time soon.
- Always repair permissions before an OS update. Any expert on OS X will tell you that this is imperative. Just like any high priest of Gorto will tell you to offer a sacrifice to appease Gorto before attempting any endeavor. And both will speak with equal conviction and basis in fact.
- If at all possible, get yourself a Tiger t-shirt and wear it while you’re installing Tiger. Because, dude, how cool would that be?! w00t!
- Operating system upgrades will install better if your machine is well-cared for. And well-lubricated. But – ha-ha! – it won’t be necessary to pour a quart of 30-grade motor oil into your Mac! Ha-ha! That would be stupid! And warranty-voiding! No, no, no, no, no. Just jam a stick of butter into your optical drive before you install the disk. Ha-ha! Butter! Ha-ha! Ha! Ha! DO IT! DO IT NOW! BUTTER!
- Back up all your data. Nobody wants to hear you sobbing like a little girl when your pwecious data gets awll wost. Nooooooo! We don’t want snookums to loose ums data! Ah-boo hoo hoo! Ah-boo-hoo-hoo! You frickin’ pussy.
Oh, screw it. Just go ahead and install it.