According to sources within Apple software development, Tiger is all but complete and will be ready to ship on April 15th. The operating system is expected to raise the bar yet again for a powerful, user-friendly desktop platforms.
While Tiger will arrive too late for Easter, it will still come chock full of Easter eggs.
And by Easter eggs we mean cute little pieces of code that execute fun but useless functions, not actual dyed eggs of any kind.
Sources indicate Mac OS X 10.4 will include the following Easter eggs:
- Double-clicking on a folder in the Finder will open said folder, magically revealing its contents.
- Typing “SET GOD_MODE_ON=TRUE” in Terminal will give the user command of time, space and dimension.
- Executing the key combination command-control-option-Apple-command-tab-fig in the Finder will still be impossible as three of the keys are in fact the same key and one is not a key at all but a plump, seedy fruit.
- Right-clicking on the My Computer icon will force you to wake screaming from a horrible nightmare in which you own a Windows machine instead of a Mac.
- Licking your Apple Cinema Display with Tiger installed on your Mac will result in electric shock, particularly the way you shuffle over the carpet to your desk, Mr. Droopy Drawers.
- If you log into your Mac under Tiger, select “About This Mac” from the Apple menu, and option-command click on the Apple icon, you will be filled with an inexplicably smug sense of satisfaction.
- Placing a picture of a naked woman on your desktop will not invoke any Easter eggs, but… dude! Ha-ha! You’ve got a naked chick on your desktop! Ha-ha! Whoooo!
- Create a new user under Tiger and name it “Steve.” Now you can pretend that Steve Jobs is your bestest friend ever and he even uses your Mac! Yay!
- After invoking Automator to carry out your evil bidding, you will feel the uncontrollable urge to rub your hands together and cackle madly “Mwwwaaaa-ha-ha-ha! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Ah-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!”
- Sources say control-click on the Apple icon in the menu bar. Then sources say, drag the cursor all the way to the trash before releasing. Sources say type shift-fn-8! Sources say command-click! Option-click! Ha-ha! Got you! Sources didn’t say!
OK, Tiger doesn’t actually have any Easter eggs.